WERD offers writers a supportive, organized, and consistent community to learn essential writing skills through exploration.
- Inspires students to write through high interest activities.
- Features research-based techniques for teaching writing skills and strategies.
- Combines free-writing, the writing process, and targeted instruction.
- Used in Title 1, 21st CCLC, Migrant, Summer, Title II, and after school programs
This guided 10-session workshop guides writers through a range of writing explorations. The workshop culminates in a published collection of pieces that students take through the writing process.
WERDPlay activities are designed to foster creative explorations of writing. Try one WERDPlay activity each week to supplement the WERDWorks sessions.
WERDSkill writing lessons are brief focused writing exercises that explore one feature of effective writing. We suggest completing one WERDSkill lesson each week to supplement the WERDWorks sessions.
WERDLists provide 250 additional writing prompts to inspire writing that can be used during WERDWorks sessions or on their own.
WERDTools are essential resources for creating successful writers. WERDTools include writing rubrics, a summary of the writing process, writing frames for writing dialogue and creating comic strips, mini-dictionaries, and other language resources.
WERD Writing Activities
- Research proven writing strategies
- Engaging, active, and creative writing experiences
- Motivate learners and promote academic, social, and emotional success